Since March of 2016, the North Carolina Main Street Program has partnered with UNCG’s Interior Architecture Department and its Center for Community-Engaged Design to provide design assistance to designated Main Street and Small Town Main Street communities across the state. Undergraduate and graduate students are selected to become Main Street Fellows. The Main Street Fellows work with UNCG Interior Architecture Department Professors to complete facade rehabilitation designs and upper story apartment conversions in designated Main Street communities.
According to Spruce Pine News, 225 Locust St was a Piedmont theater, which hosted silent movies in the 1920’s. This theater was run by Robert Gutschalk from 1920-30’s on what was then called Lower St. Although this building was predominantly used for silent films and regular movies, it doubled as a rentable space for the community. In 1934 it was used by the Charles Hickey Methodist Sunday School Class, and in 1929 was used for band concerts with Mrs. Robert Poole and Mrs. H.E.. Throughout this time frame, several other unnamed cultural groups used the space. Spruce Pine News also reports that John Taylor took ownership of the theater in 1937. Shortly after his takeover, the “Asheville Citizen” said a renovation would take place august 1937 in order to modernize the theater. This remodeling was done by Cherokee Amusements Inc. Once construction was done, the building debuted as the Carolina Theater January, 1st 1938.
Facade Proposal Images
Learn More About NC Main Street Design Services
For Additional Information for Caring for Your Historic Building,
See: National Park Service Briefs