404 7th Avenue E is a non-contributing building in the 7th Avenue Historic District and it sits between two buildings at the intersection of 7th Avenue and Maple Street. The single-story commercial property was built circa 1922. The building has undergone some drastic facade changes with a false facade that was mounted over the original rusticated stone pressed tin facade. The original bulkhead seems to be fully intact, as well as a column of the original rusticated stone is visible on the right-hand side of the building. The space is currently unoccupied.
Conceptual rendering of the front facade are included. The proposed enhancements include cleaning or removing existing false storefront; assessing the condition of and making any necessary repairs to the historic facade; assessing the condition of aluminum elements and repairing as needed; cleaning all surfaces; painting tin surfaces; and introducing a new color scheme, an addition of an awning in various styles, signage options as well as lighting. This is a Non-Contributing Building in the National Register District, and all proposed facade enhancements are entended to be consistent with the ASecretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. For more information on Historic Tax Credits, see the Additional Resources section.
About Our Partnership
Since March of 2016, the North Carolina Main Street Program has partnered with UNCG’s Interior Architecture Department and its Center for Community-Engaged Design to provide design assistance to designated Main Street and Small-Town Main Street communities across the state. Undergraduate and graduate students are selected to become Main Street Fellows. The Main Street Fellows work with UNCG Interior Architecture Department Professors to complete facade rehabilitation designs and upper story apartment conversions in designated Main Street communities.