City Administration Building In The Rountree-Roney-Brett House
Updated: Feb 7, 2022
2017 Best Historic Rehabilitation Project
The 1892 Rountree-Roney-Brett House, located at 206 Nash Street, was acquired by the City of Wilson in 2014. Situated in a highly visible West Nash Street location in historic downtown Wilson, the Queen Anne style house is a nationally designated landmark structure of substantial significance. The West Nash Street Historic District was home to many of the town’s wealthiest and most prominent merchants, lawyers, and politicians.
The renovated structure sits on a campus-like property where the gardens are incorporated in the hundred-year-old canopy of Overcup and Swamp Chestnut Oaks and designed to encourage pedestrians to walk around. Directly across the street, the BB&T tower houses over employees that overlook this park-like setting.
Fireplaces were repaired, multiple windows and doors were repaired or replaced, the wood floors were restored and ADA compliance was met. Spindles and balustrades were turned, including those on the “Santa House” miniature outbuilding in the backyard that replicated the original house design.
The 3,400 sq. ft. structure was used as a residence until 2014. The historic rehabilitation cost $432,000 and is fully occupied with City of Wilson administrative offices. While the City does not pay rent, the average rent per square foot in downtown Wilson is $10 and, therefore, the estimated rent for this property would be $34,000 per year.